The University of Maryland School of Public Policy alumni enjoy many different ways to stay connected with each other and the School. Through social media and our many programs and events, there are ways for everyone to stay in touch.
- Alumni Directory: Update your contact information for event mailings, employment opportunities and more. Query all MSPP alumni for networking purposes.
- LinkedIn: Register a LinkedIn account and join the University of Maryland School of Public Policy Alumni group for job leads, professional discussions and networking.
- Class Notes: Submit life events such as births, weddings, promotions and publications for inclusion in our monthly Maryland School of Public Policy Update.
- UMD Alumni Association: Connect with the larger University of Maryland and receive additional benefits for your membership.
- UMD Policy Jobs: Job searching? Check out our exclusive database to search for jobs. Hiring? Post the job or internship opening here to share with fellow alumni and current students.
Programs and Events
Another proactive way to stay involved with the School is through our many programs and events. As you know, it is vital that current students connect with policy professionals to gain experience, networking skills, and guidance. Consider contributing your time to this important goal in one (or all) of the following ways:
- Maryland Mentor Program: The Maryland Mentor Program connects second year students with experienced professionals to offer advice and support as they transition from student to job seeker to policy expert. We are always looking for alumni to serve as mentors. If interested, you are matched with a student mentee in October and the relationship continues until graduation in May. Mentors and mentees typically exchange many emails and meet in person monthly.
- Experts-in-Residence Program: The Experts-in-Residence program brings experts like you to Van Munching Hall for Friday visits for individual student meetings. The goal is to provide students with convenient, one-on-one informational interviews. Students sign up in advance for 20-30 minute sessions and discuss topics such as resume revisions, job search strategies, and field specific networking tips.
- Public Policy Panels: Each year, we host several alumni career panels to hear job search strategies, internship advice, and recommendations for leveraging students’ time in graduate school. Panel discussions occur over lunch on different days of the week.
- Career Networking Night: Career Services and Alumni Relations’ premier annual event, Career Networking Night, is a great opportunity to reconnect with fellow alumni and assist current students. Update your contact information through the Alumni Directory to ensure your annual invitation.
- SPP Alumni Chapter: The UMD School of Public Policy has an active Alumni Chapter Board that coordinates many events and programs year round. The Alumni Chapter Board collects nominations each spring to hold elections for new officers.
If you are interested in participating in any of these initiatives, contact C. Bryan Kempton, Director of Career Services and Alumni Relations.